Beach Wheelchair Hire
Gold Coast Recreation and Sport Inc. in partnership with Gold Coast City Council, has two beach wheelchairs available for use by visitors and the local community. One Hippocampe and one Sandcruiser.
The Hippocampe and Sandcruiser beach wheelchairs that can be booked for several days at a time depending on availability, are free to hire and can be used anywhere on the Gold Coast. The wheels can be easily removed and each chair will partly fold down to fit in a large car, station wagon or SUV.
While there is no cost to hire the Beach Wheelchair, Gold Coast Recreation & Sport Inc does incur costs associated with managing hiring arrangements and maintenance of the Beach Wheelchairs. As a registered charity, hirers may choose to make a suggested donation of $20.00 to the organisation to assist GCRS to continue to provide this valuable service.
Beach Wheelchairs will need to be collected from the GCRS office in Southport Monday to Friday and between 8am to 4pm. We ask that when picking up and dropping off the wheelchair, hirers be patient during the hours of 8:15am-9:15am and 2:00pm-3:00pm as we continue to support our participants. A staff member will assist you as soon as they can during these busy times. A holding deposit of $20.00 (cash) is required upon pick up. Unfortunately we do not have EFTPOS facilities.
Please note that bookings are not confirmed until you receive a confirmation email from us.
Terms & Conditions
Hirers are asked to agree to the following terms:
- Booking form completed and submitted by email for confirmation.
- Agreement to use the beach wheelchair in accordance with the written instructions provided. Sandcruiser Hippocampe
- That the chair should not be taken into water to a depth greater than 15cm.
- When using the chair in water the straps should not be secured around the person in the beach wheelchair.
- When using the chair life jackets should always be worn and have been offered to you.
- Before use, conduct a check that all lynch pins and washers are in place.
- After each use chair must be rinsed in fresh water.
- The user assumes all risk of injury due to use. Gold Coast Recreation & Sport Inc accepts no liability to the extent permitted by law.
- The chair will be returned to Gold Coast Recreation & Sport by the due date.
“Improving accessibility on the Gold Coast”
As a part of ongoing evaluation of the use of the wheelchairs and improving the City’s accessibility, we welcome any feedback regarding its use during your booking.
Further information about what the City is doing to help make our beaches more accessible can be found here.