Who We Are
Gold Coast Recreation & Sport Inc is a community-based organisation which provides sporting and recreational opportunities to people with a disability. As the name suggests, we operate within the Gold Coast Region from Coomera to Coolangatta, from Bonogin to Burleigh.
GCRS was established in 1979 by a group of individuals who wanted to create and deliver recreational opportunities for people with a disability. A management committee was formed and activities and events were organised under the name of ‘Gold Coast Recreation for the Handicapped’. Today, now known as ‘Gold Coast Recreation & Sport Inc’, the service has grown to provide a wide variety of recreation and sporting programs throughout the community.
GCRS is –
- A Department of Communities – Disability Services funded non-government service provider;
- a Community Care funded agency;
- registered as a charity under the Collections Act 1966; and an incorporated association.
- registered to provide services under the NDIS (National Disability Insurance Scheme).
“To enhance the quality of life of people with a disability, by facilitating opportunities for participation and achievement in recreation and sport.”
Gold Coast Recreation and Sport promotes and fosters the concept of participation in recreation and sporting activities by people with disabilities for the intrinsic elements of:
- Social interaction
There is a huge range of programs offered throughout the Gold Coast each and every week.
What do we do?
- Provide ‘hands on’ service by our staff and volunteers in running programs.
- Facilitate programs & activities for individuals and groups throughout a network of volunteers, generic sporting clubs and other service organisations.
- Informing and educating the community about opportunities for people with a disability.
- Liaising with government, community groups and organisations involved with sport, recreation and people with a disability.
- Referring individuals to other organisations and groups where they can pursue their desired sporting and recreational pursuits.
- Supporting individuals to plan and participate in person centred planning via Department of Communities funded programs, as well as programs from other funding sources.
Gold Coast Recreation & Sport Inc wants to ensure that each person who meets its eligibility criteria and is seeking a service has access to its service on the basis of need and available resources.
Access to GCRS’s service is free from discrimination of any kind, including – physical, intellectual or psychiatric disability; gender; race; sexual preference; age; class; and political or religious beliefs.
If you’d like to get involved please send an email to email@example.com and include your name, age, contact details and tell us about your recreation and sporting interests.